Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Little Hiking, a Little Contemplating

Well, dear reader, some shit, as they say, has gone down. It's all for the best I'm sure, but it has been a rather trying couple of weeks.

The good news is, I am now moved in to the Swamp, and appropriately positioned to save up lots of money for my PCT trip, as well as to do plenty of training hikes. A fab bonus perk: I get to help Shrek work on all of the projects that need doing over the winter so it will be even more amazing for thru hikers next year (like ME!). I'm typing this from the tree fort. 

The tree fort in the day (to the right)
How awesome is that sentence!?! Feel free to read it again if you just glossed over it the first time.

My happy tree fort face!
I'm trying out my Sierra Design down jacket, as well as the Thermarest Z Lite and sleeping quilt combo to see how I like it. Funny thing about living in a trail angel house--there's plenty of slightly-loved gear to test out. 

I've been doing a little bit of hiking. Shrek and I headed out to Bagby Hotsprings last week, taking advantage of the good ole government shutdown. Nobody but us in the whole place! It was just a baby hike-3 miles total, but I confirmed my headlamp will work just fine for night hiking and managed to stay warm and dry despite the drizzle, so that felt good.

I did Beacon Rock today, which was a little boring, but not a bad view from the top. Only 3 miles or so as well. Maybe not even that. I tested out my Injinji toe socks, and so far I LOVE them. I will test them out further tomorrow on a long hike and see. Normally I don't like toe socks much. They never fit my little toe well and feel like they're cutting in between my toes, or they're too big in the toes and I feel like half a sock is bunched up in the front of my shoe. Not so with these! I put them on and my feet felt like thy were wrapped in a cloud. Super soft, super comfortable. Full report after a longer hike, but so far five stars, and bonus points for coming in my favorite color: purple!
The view from the top-can you spot Bonneville Dam?

First time over Bridge of the Gods
 Trying to decide what to do tomorrow through Friday morning. I'd like to camp overnight somewhere. Maybe test out my cold oatmeal for breakfast trick and see how awful it is. :) I am pretty confident I don't want to mess with a stove on the trail, but I also don't want to hate my food options. Carrot's blog has inspired me to try to eat healthy/semi-normally on the trail. I think I can do it, it'll just take some extra planning.

I haven't driven anywhere the last three days (although I admit I rode in a car to Portland for the Mazama night), and it feels AWESOME! Riding my bike and walking everywhere, just like I wanted to be doing!

Somehow Bill, in his extreme awesomeness has climbed up into the fort with me, so perhaps I should leave this for now and enjoy some snuggles and the stars. Sweet dreams of the trail gentle reader.



No comments:

Post a Comment