Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Hiker Hunger

Written September 11, 2013

I'm putting all of my English student skills to use researching everything PCT. Gear, food, when to start, to resupply or not to resupply. I'm reading stories, looking for answers.

I'm not going to bring a stove with me. If I finish the desert and decide I want one, I'll see what the resupply boxes or stores have, but I don't think cooking is that important to me. A lot of hassle when I can just add water and eat cold food as soon as I get to camp for the night.

I'm also going to give up being a vegetarian on the trail. I've been a vegetarian/occasional pescitarian for more than half my life. Sixteen years without mammal or avian protein. On the trail, I'm already concerned about getting enough calories. My first hike I averaged 1200-1500 calories a day, not because I didn't have enough with me, but because I didn't want to stop and eat. I'd get into a rhythm and just go. I had an eating disorder as a teenager. I would restrict my caloric intake to as few calories as possible. This is an all too tempting game on the trail, one too dangerous to not be wary of. I'm going to need all the trail magic I can get, and I want to stay healthy. I've worked hard to love my body and to be healthy in so many ways.

I have mixed feelings about junk food on the trail. It's so common, but I so want to take care of myself. How do you get enough calories but have healthy and low weight, high caloric density food options? Will I suddenly start eating things I haven't had in years and years, like candy bars and Cheetos and fast food? Can I eat well without spending an exorbitant amount of money?

I've got more questions than answers right now. I'm so grateful to the hikers and gear reps who have let me talk their ear off so far, and to everyone who's offered support. Y'all are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment